Thursday, April 3, 2008

A crisis of faith?

Since most of the members were a bit pressed for time, they didn't do the usual Ouija board session, but Newbie had a little more to say about his recent ghostly encounters. A few hours after my previous post, Psychic and some of the other members of the group (including "Nancy Drew" (not her real name obviously), the other journalism class student covering this club) performed a sort of "spiritual cleansing."

They claimed it worked at the time, but apparently Newbie has been since plagued by problems again. Some in the group still insist this is the work of otherworldly forces, but a couple members, carrying on a brief conversation before Psychic arrived at tonight's meeting, expressed their reluctance to follow her lead on this one. They discussed the idea that she may be making a lot of these things up, or possibly she just believes so strongly that she is subconsciously skewing the results of Ouija boards, etc. It seems Sunday's unsuccessful jaunt to the cemetery, coupled with this recent Newbie Incident has started some questioning the validity of certain matters.

Definitely some interesting drama going on; and from a personal standpoint, if I may wax editorially here for a moment, this is my general train of thought as well. As I mentioned, I try to keep an open mind and don't like to belittle others on my beliefs (I'm Catholic after all who am I to judge right?), but my dose of personal skepticism is heavy. Psychic, to me, seems socially adept at allaying fears of incorrect readings as just "the ghosts playing games with [the group]".

Only time and experience will be able to tell me more what the real story behind this matter is, and I will make every effort to keep you, the reader, informed. In more official news from the group, the Spring Fair they were asked to attend was pushed back a couple weeks and they moved this coming Sunday's investigation a couple of weeks ahead as well. However, they are planning to investigate a building here on campus (Stevens) starting at 7:30 p.m. this coming Monday, April 7th.

The following video is a bit long (just over nine minutes) but I found it pretty interesting. Stage magician and skeptic James Randi discusses famous psychic Uri Geller's "psychic powers" and how they might be simple stage magic. The last third is especially good as he discusses, and they show clips from "The Tonight Show", where Randi was asked to be an adviser to the show before Geller came on. As you can guess I'm also a big fan of Penn & Teller's "Bullshit".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big Penn & Teller fan too and I've seen practically every show about the paranormal. What's your take on the James Randi Foundation's Million Dollar Challenge?
Do you think there's a reason no one has stepped up and claimed the money yet?